Check Out My Stash For Sale/Trade!

Monday, September 1, 2008

Just My 25 Cents Worth....

Today, the news story du jour, besides Hurricane Gustav, is the fact that the 17-year-old daughter of Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin, Senator John McCain's VP pick, is pregnant (and unmarried). Reading some of the comments made on the story, I'm burning with shame that I live among people who, in 21st Century America, would stoop to make such disparaging remarks about a wonderful, accomplished, no nonsense American woman. "She should go home and tend to her own family." "What wonderful family values she has ~ not!" "What a horrible example this is for all our teenage girls in America." Excuse me! Exactly what plant have they been smoking? Please someone tell me how you control the actions of a 17-year-old 24 hours a day? I can tell you I was not a perfect child (nor were my parents perfect), but I have only myself to blame for the bad decisions I made. I made decisions that broke the heart of my mom, who prayed for me every day (and still does, by the way). Does that mean she was a horrible mother? Not by a long shot. I have a 22-year-old and a 19-year-old who make bad decisions (some very costly) and yet I know they were raised to know and do better. Am I to blame for that? I think not. Do I love them less? No! Remember the saying, "There but for the grace of God go I..."

***Intemperate thought.....imagine if Senator McCain's VP pick had been a man and this situation had come up? Would people be saying he needed to go home and take care of his family first? Just thought I would throw that out there. The hypocrisy of those comments is stunning....

In a country where more than 40 million babies have been sacrificed on the altar of convenience, it IS refreshing to see a young woman make a very courageous decision when she could have so easily taken the easy way out (and would have then been applauded by the very people who are so "shocked" and "scandalized" by her behavior). She is going to, "gasp", marry the father of her child. It will be very difficult to be a mother at that age, but she is surrounded by loving parents and extended family who support her decision. Do we want our children to be in situations like this? No. Do we want them to have to grow up faster than they already are? No. But in an age where our Hollywood idols download children at a whim without a thought to marrying the father, it is wonderful to see that these young people own up to making a bad decision and then taking responsibility for their actions and providing their baby (who is NOT A MISTAKE) a mother and a father. I would much rather have her as a role model for my children (someone who takes responsibility for her actions), than those selfish, vapid, self-absorbed Hollywood and pop culture icons who make a mockery of marriage and parenthood.

I wish Governor Palin and her family all the best. I will remember her family in my prayers. I just ask the Lord to give them an extra measure of grace and fortitude for the difficult two months ahead of them.

Stepping off my soap box.....

4 comments:

  1. AMEN! As the mother of an 18 year old and a 14 year old, I can tell you that I can teach, love, scream, beg, and pray until I'm blue in the face, but God gave us all the gift of free will. We all make choices that we can look back on as not being the best, but such is life. Perhaps those who are judging the family lead such perfect and unblemished lives that it would better if they came to MY house and helped me out with my eldest. Heck, I'll let them take him for a year. LOL. LOVE this post. I hope we all pray for the Palin family - may they grow stronger in the face of the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... You might not like this, but *until* Palin's daughter marries the father, I'm very skeptical it will happen. After all, it IS politics and they will say anything to make themselves look good.

    I could care less whether the 17yr is an unwed mother but since the Republicans like to thrive on family values and setting good examples, ahem.

    No parents can't control the actions of their teenagers, but they shouldn't hold themselves to such high standards when the very same thing can happen on their own doorstep.

    In looking at the shots of her 17yr holding the baby with the blanket covering her entire body... clearly hiding *something*. LOL, like no one would notice that?

    Yes, Palin is an accomplished woman and we've come far being females, but are Americans (especially American MEN) ready to have a female a step away from the presidency... especially one who we've heard very little about at this point in time?

    This is going to be a tough election, and arrogant sexist comments are going to be made. People are going to dig deep for any skeletons in her closet. Either one can hack it, or they can't. Time will tell.

    I'll be waiting to see and hear more about her before I make a decision. Even though I'm neither Rep or Democrat, I'll vote for the ones who closely resemble my values.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meari ~ I welcome your comments ;o) It would be a very boring world if everyone agreed with everyone else.....(besides, as my favorite talkshow host says, there is nowhere in the Constitution where it states that one has a right to not be offended....). I think your comments are deserving of being posted....they are respectful and well-thought out.

    BTW, even though I am a Christian (I guess one of these radical right-wingers LOL), politically I feel I am more aligned with the libertarian party. I think it's true that some people hold themselves up as being holier-than-thou. But the only actions I believe I am (or anyone else is) held responsible for are my own. I cannot be held accountable for those of my children (one of whom has strayed very far from her upbringing ~ just as I did). I pray that she will come back to her roots, but in the end she makes that decision (and mom and dad stand on the sidelines with heavy hearts and pray).

    I believe Governor Palin and her husband did raise their children according to their beliefs and values. I also believe that she and her husband, like any other parent in America, are often grieved by the decisions their children do make that are outside of the values they are raised with. But one should not be afraid to espouse high values and standards simply because we are afraid that our children/family might not live up to them. We are all frail human beings who fall short of the high ideals we have set. That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to be better. What is impressive, however, is the fact that they have chosen to actually live out their values by standing with and supporting their daughter and for the daughter's decision to accept loving responsibility for the new life that has been created. What would have been hypocritical would have been to sneak her off to abort the baby and keep quiet about it, yet keep espousing their pro-life stance.

    Yes, those young people aren't married yet ;o), but I sincerely hope, pray, and wish them the absolute very best. It's a tough road they are embarking on, but it can work and their precious child will certainly be better off for it.

    Up until Friday, I was only decided on who I was NOT going to vote for....and not because of any prejudice on my part, but simply my total disagreement with his whole philosophy. And I am so glad I live in a country where I can still respectfully voice my opinion and then have others respectfully voice theirs.

    I am so glad you are going to thoughtfully consider the candidates....I only wish more people would do the same, on both sides of the aisle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting ~ Your comments are LOVE!!